This historic Greek revival school building located on Government Street in Mobile was under construction from 1836 to 1839 and was designed by architects Dakin, Dakin and Gallier. Barton Academy was the first public school in the state of Alabama, named for Willoughby Barton, an Alabama state legislator from Mobile who was instrumental in creating the Board of School Commissioners of Mobile County that was the first education board in Alabama. Barton Academy is three floors in height and constructed of brick that’s been stuccoed and scored to look like ashlar. A heavy ground floor supports the main floor and the smaller third floor. The building can be visually divided into a central block with a two-story, pedimented, hexastyle Ionic portico, five bays wide, with wrought-iron balustrades. The low-pitched hipped roof over the block is topped by a domed cupola, ringed by 28 Ionic columns. The dome is surmounted by a lantern.