The Governor’s Mansion built in 1906 is located at 1142 Perry Street, Montgomery. The graceful mansion, home to Alabama governors was purchased in 1950. Blending Colonial style architecture with Greek Revival influences it offers free admission but with prior confirmation for scheduled visits. The most prominent feature of the exterior of the mansion is the monumental Corinthian composite tetrastyle portico at the front. With recessed wrought iron balconies on the second level there is an elaborate Ionic porte-cochère to one side. The interior features 17 primary rooms with a double staircase leading from the entrance hall to the second level. The grounds feature gardens, a large pergola, a swimming pool in the shape of the state, a guest house, a stone grotto water feature and tennis courts. The entire property is surrounded by a wrought iron fence, with octagonal guard houses at the main gates. The Mansion does not have a regular schedule for opening and in some seasons may not be open all the time.