Also known as Montgomery Union Station and Trainshed was built by Louisville and Nashville Railroad and opened in 1898. Erected of brick and limestone on a high bluff along the Alabama River, the station served passenger trains of at least four major railroads. The station had six tracks under a 600 foot shed with a coach yard as well as a Railway Express Agency facility. The station`s design segregated passengers by race and incorporated Romanesque Revival elements. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. With the decline in usage after the 1950s and 1960s it was Amtrak that briefly revived service in 1971 with a single train service between Chicago and Miami. The termination of train in 1979 brought Union Station to a close. After a period of disuse it was renovated for commercial tenants. The train shed still stands with tracks been replaced by asphalt parking. Among other tenants, Union Station currently hosts Montgomery Area Visitor Center.