The official residence of the Governor of Alaska was designed by James Knox Taylor. The Governor's Mansion was first occupied during 1912. Comprising of 12,900-square-foot frame structure, the first floor included a reception hall, drawing room, library, dining room, office, kitchen, two pantries, and a conservatory. The second floor contained four large bedrooms, a sewing room and three bathrooms. During 1936 the wood finish of the exterior was plastered over and painted white. Currently after latest renovation the number of rooms in the mansion, excluding great halls, garages, closets, and bathrooms, is twenty-six. There are ten bathrooms, six bedrooms, and eight fireplaces, amounting to a total area of 14,400 square feet.