This historic building is the earlier old US Post Office and Courthouse that is now operational as the Sitka Municipal building. It is rather a sedate attractive building in art moderne style that was constructed in 1938. It remains a registered historic place located at Lincoln Street, on the western edge of downtown near the marina and bridge, at the base of Castle Hill. It is across the street from the Sitka Pioneers Home, near to the American Flag Raising Site and near to other NRHP-listed buildings. There was "widespread opposition in the community" but the post office was moved in 1986 to a location outside the city center.