Located in the Harbor area, this government lighthouse at the tip of San Pedro Harbor was constructed in 1874. Built of lumber and bricks brought around Cape Horn by a sailing ship, oil lamps were used to signal ships until 1925. Later these were replaced by a new electric light of some 6000 candlepower. During World War II its light was turned off and the building painted "wartime green." Its duties were taken over by radar and the structure fell into disuse. Eventually it became part of the beautiful 28 acre park that surrounds it. Point Fermin was named in 1793 by Captain George Vancouver in honor of Fermin Francisco de Lasuen, president of the Franciscan missions.