Bridgeport City Hall was built in 1854 as both the City Hall and the Fairfield County Courthouse. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 19, 1977. It was renamed McLevy Hall in 1966 after the Bridgeport Mayor, Jasper McLevy. It was built in 1853-54 between State and Bank Streets and had cost $75,000 at that point of time. The Hall was designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in the Greek Revival style to resemble a temple. The building was opened in 1855 and had a large ground floor for use as City Hall, two floors for County Government and Court use and also an auditorium, Washington Hall for public gatherings.