The plantation represents the history of Georgia’s rice coast. In the early 1800s William Brailsford of Charleston established a rice plantation from marshes along the Altamaha River. The plantation and its inhabitants were part of the culture that developed during the antebellum period. Even after the Civil War the family continued to grow rice until 1913. The fifth generation at Hofwyl-Broadfield started a dairy rather than sell the family home. The effort led to the preservation of the family legacy. The last heir left the plantation to the state of Georgia in 1973. A museum features silver, family heirlooms from the family collection of 18th and 19th century furniture and Cantonese china. There is also a model of Hofwyl-Broadfield during its heyday. A brief film on the plantation’s history is shown before visitors walk a short trail to the antebellum home. A guided tour allows visitors to see the home as it was.