Michigan City`s lights were lit on June 23, 1835 when Isaac C. Elston, the city`s founder, deeded a tract of his land on Lake Michigan`s shore to the U.S. Government for the Lighthouse to aid navigation by the harbor. With increase in shipping activities a brighter light was needed to guide ships into the busy port. In 1858, the U.S. Government constructed a lighthouse using Joliet stone for the foundation and Milwaukee bricks for the superstructure. The date of 1858 can still be seen on the south outside wall of the building. Earliest known journals of the lighthouse keepers began in 1872. The northern wall supports the lantern tower and is 24 inches thick. The other three exterior walls are 18 inches thick The 1858 Michigan City Lighthouse served as both light and the keeper`s living quarters. It was remodeled in 1904 adding enlarged two northern rooms on each floor.