Lake Michigan coastline at Michigan City has this historic light station at its east end near the bend of Trail Creek. By the harbor stands an historic old structure whose beacon served as a guiding light for Great Lakes sailors for more than 100 years. Michigan City purchased the building in 1963 and entered into an agreement with the Michigan City Historical Society in 1965 whereby the Society would restore the structure and maintain it as a museum. After eight years of restoration, the museum was opened on June 9, 1973, and since that date has remained opened to the public every summer. The lantern tower removed in 1904 as also the original 5th order Fresnel Lens that illuminated the 1858 Michigan City Light and the 1904 Pierhead Light is now on display in the Old Lighthouse Museum.