Dubuque`s first City Hall was located in small two-story brick building on the corner of Fifth and Locust streets. Begun in 1857 and occupied a year later, the structure was designed by J.N. Moody and modeled after Boston`s Faneuil Hall and the Fulton Street Market in New York City. The basement contained a jail, several saloons, and fireproof vaults for records. The first floor was a market hall, containing one market stall 22` wide per bay with three central bays at the entrance and staircase. On the second floor of the City Hall was a City Council room, a general meeting room and offices in between. To this day a farmer`s market continues to be held on Central Street in front of City Hall every Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, May to October.