The Close Mansion as it is also known was built in 1874 as one of the great mansions of Iowa City. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is located at the corner of Gilbert and Bowery in Iowa City. The Close family had linseed oil business and a glove factory located near this home. When the Close family sold the home it was first used as an Acacia fraternity and subsequently by the Johnson County department of Social Welfare. In the intervening years some renovation took place and several of the Italian style characteristics were removed including the widows walk, the front balconies, and the glassed in cupola. Even the red brick of the house was temporarily painted gray but that has since been removed. The cupola and balconies were later restored to the home. The Close Mansion now has an interior design firm and a picture framing shop on its premises.