This Beaux Arts-style building in downtown Iowa City was built of Indiana Limestone in 1904 and later the post office was expanded in 1931. It remained the city`s central post office until 1975, when a new facility was built. Remaining vacant for the next few years it bought by the Iowa City/ as a central location for the senior center. In 1979 even as it was in the middle of renovation, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The rehabilitated post Office building currently serves the senior residents in downtown Iowa City. Built as a comprehensive, multi-use facility the original building was made available for renovation. This structure was selected because if its proximity to downtown and its potential to allow for locating a range of elderly services and activity centers in one place.