Visit USA - America's Best Travel Guide

Historical

  • This site was the home of the first Henry Wallace, a national leader in agriculture and conservation and the first editor of Wallaces` Farmer farm journal. This restored 1883 Italianate Victorian ho...
  • The Jordan House is a splendid Victorian home made in Italianate Gothic design. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places it is affiliated to the National Underground Railroad Network. As o...
  • Enjoy this historical site preserved in suburban Urbandale that tells the story of Midwestern agriculture and rural life on a 500-acre venue. More like an open-air museum visitors just love the inte...
  • Built far away on the western edge of the city this structure was referred to as The Palace of the Prairie. Now a National Historic Landmark and Iowa Governor`s Residence it is an example of America...
  • This home was originally used for orphans from the American Civil War, but starting in 1876, children from broken homes as well as orphans were taken in at the home. Once the Civil War ended, 13,500...
  • As the first building on Saint Ambrose University campus, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Founded in 1882, Saint Ambrose University started off by having two classrooms in ...
  • This structure located in LeClaire Park near downtown was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Commonly referred to as the Dillon Fountain, the Dillon Memorial is a Classical ...
  • Davenport outgrew its previous city hall that served from 1857-1858. The new Richardson and Romanesque civic building was built in 1895 to replace the old city hall. Designed by John W. Ross the bui...
  • Central High School was originally called the High School when it opened in the spring of 1893. It was renamed in 1924 when other high schools were opened. The school reflected the flamboyance and p...
  • Sergeant Floyd Monument is a 100-foot high Egyptian Obelisk made in sandstone, which is located at the summit of Floyds Bluff. It marks the burial site of Sergeant Charles Floyd who was the only me...
  • First Brides Grave is tucked away in a pocket of South Ravine Park with a series of steps leading into the woods. The trail ends at this historical monument that was built in 1938 by the Woodbury Co...
  • Bruguier`s Cabin was built as one of a cluster of log cabins by Bruguier (Son-in-law of War Eagle). It was used as a fur trading post near the bluffs at the mouth of the Big Sioux River. The cabin w...
  • The C.S.P.S. Hall in Cedar Rapids, Iowa was built in 1891 and is associated with the Czech-Slovak Protective Society. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. It served his...
  • This historic district is important because of its ethnic heritage and European commercial development dating back to over 60 years. The Bohemian Commercial District falls on six blocks along the ro...
  • This Building located at 845 First Avenue in Cedar Rapids is an Iowa historic building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by architect William J. Brown and w...
  • The Carl & Mary Koehler History Center started off in 1969 as the Linn County Historical Museum Association. By the early 1990`s the Linn County Historical Museum Association became Linn County Hist...
  • The Iowa Old Capitol Building located in Iowa City was once the main government building for the state of Iowa. It is a U.S. National Historic Landmark with the Iowa constitution crafted inside the ...
  • This Beaux Arts-style building in downtown Iowa City was built of Indiana Limestone in 1904 and later the post office was expanded in 1931. It remained the city`s central post office until 1975, whe...
  • Enjoy viewing Johnson County Courthouse in Iowa City that was designed by A. William Rush. Constructed in 1901 this Romanesque Revival structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places...
  • The Close Mansion as it is also known was built in 1874 as one of the great mansions of Iowa City. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is located at the corner of Gilbert and Bowe...
  • This structure is an example of the Beaux Arts Style. The Courthouse designed by Fridolin Heer & Son is 88 feet by 125 feet in size. The 190 feet high central tower is capped with a fourteen-foot-ta...
  • Dubuque`s first City Hall was located in small two-story brick building on the corner of Fifth and Locust streets. Begun in 1857 and occupied a year later, the structure was designed by J.N. Moody a...
  • Mathias Ham House is an example of a large, antebellum residential architecture reflecting an eclectic architectural style. The contrasts between the earlier and later sections of the structure show...
  • Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Ryan House is one of Dubuque`s premiere historic homes. This elegant Italian Villa-style house was built In 1873 by William Andrew and later f...