This landmark structure in Topeka is also known as the G.A.R. Memorial Hall. The historic Grand Army of the Republic hall is located at 120 West 10th Avenue, and since July 1975 has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. This Memorial Hall was constructed with funding coming from the war claims paid to the State of Kansas by the federal government. In 1909 with the passing of the legislative money appropriation act, the site was demarcated by a commission and subsequently acquired the land and began with the construction of Memorial Hall. Later in 1911, President William Howard Taft laid the ceremonial cornerstone. The building was completed in 1914 and dedicated before 25,000 people in May that year. The building has in recent years been serving as the headquarters for the Kansas Attorney General and Kansas Secretary of State since the year 2000.