This outstanding monument located on the grounds of the old Sedgwick County Courthouse was built in 1911-1913. The monument is dedicated to the Union soldiers and sailors who fought and died in the Civil War. Designed by Ernest Moore Viquesney this is an eighteen-foot-square building, measuring fifty feet in height from the base to the apex. On the roof of each elevation is a full-size bronze statue representing one of the four branches of the Union military: artillery, cavalry, infantry, and navy. The statues were designed and cast by Fredrick Cleveland Hibbard of Chicago. On top of the cupola is a fourteen foot Statue of Liberty that was created by the W. H. Mullins Manufacturing Company of Salem, Ohio. The Friends of the Sedgwick County Soldiers and Sailors Civil War Monument was formed in 1997 to raise funds to restore the monument and provide an endowment for its maintenance.