Cheviot is a city located in west central Hamilton County, Ohio, United States. The population was 9,015 at the 2000 census. In 1814 a Scottish immigrant named John Craig purchased a half section of 320 acres (1.3km2) of Green Township from Elias Boudinot. He built an inn and tavern on the Harrison Pike. In 1818 Craig laid out a village which he named after the Cheviot Hills in southern Scotland. He sold lots and growth began. The town was incorporated in 1901. Originally a farming community, today Cheviot is a residential suburb of Cincinnati.