Visit USA - America's Best Travel Guide

  •  
    Hotel
  •  
    Flight
  •  
    Vacation
  •  
    Car
Burlington

Battery Park

Battery Park is a public park overlooking Lake Champlain at the western end of downtown Burlington, Vermont. The park includes a bandshell, a playground, and various monuments, including a bronze statue of Civil War veteran General William W. Wells, and a red oak sculpture of Chief Gray Lock, a veteran of Gray Lock's War.

The park was named for the artillery stationed there by American forces during the War of 1812. On August 13, 1813, American gunners, aided by the U.S.S. President, successfully defended their position against an attack by a British squadron led by Lt Colonel John Murray. The park land was deeded to the City of Burlington in 1870, and the Battery Park Extension was added to the southern end in 1972.