Visit USA - America's Best Travel Guide

  •  
    Hotel
  •  
    Flight
  •  
    Vacation
  •  
    Car
Burlington

Burlington Masonic Temple

The former Burlington Masonic Temple is an historic multistory massive redbrick building located at 1, 3 and 5 Church Street corner of Pearl Street in Burlington, Vermont. Built in 1897 for the Grand Lodge of Vermont, Free and Accepted Masons, it was designed by the noted Philadelphia architectural firm Wilson Brothers. It features a steep slate pyramid roof intersected in the middle of each side by a gable.

The Pearl Street side of the building is notable for the staggered windows which provide light to one of the buildings staircases. Its upper floors were used for meetings of Masonic lodges and appendant orders, while the lower floors were used for retail and office purposes. Today it is part of the Church Street Marketplace and is used exclusively for retail and office purposes. The only remaining Masonic Lodge in Burlington is Burlington Lodge No. 100 which has a small one story building at 39 Birchcliff Parkway. The Masonic Temple building is one of three Contributing properties in the Head of Church Street Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 15, 1974