Visit USA - America's Best Travel Guide

  •  
    Hotel
  •  
    Flight
  •  
    Vacation
  •  
    Car
Richmond

Egyptian Building

The Egyptian Building is a National Historic Landmark in Richmond, Virginia, built in 1845. It is the first permanent home of the Medical Department of Hampden-Sydney College (later renamed the Medical College of Virginia) and now is a part of Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center. It is located on Shockoe Hill at the 1200 block of E. Marshall Street in Court End.

After several years in the Union Hotel, the board of the College decided they needed a space specifically created for medical education. Aid was sought to pay for the structure and the Commonwealth offered a twenty-five thousand dollar loan and Richmond donated two thousand dollars. The Board chose the noted Philadelphia architect, Thomas S. Stewart, who had just completed the new St. Paul's Church, to build the College Building. Stewart chose a style known as Egyptian Revival.

The Egyptian Building was originally called College Building and later the Old College Building. The latter title was fitting because the National Register of Historic Places considers it to be the oldest medical college building south of the Mason-Dixon Line. The battered walls of the structure are meant to represent the old temples of Egypt. The building has been compared to the Temple of Horus at Edfu.