Visit USA - America's Best Travel Guide

  •  
    Hotel
  •  
    Flight
  •  
    Vacation
  •  
    Car
Virginia Beach

Upper Wolfsnare

Upper Wolfsnare, historically called Brick House Farm until 1939, is a colonial-era brick home built, probably about 1759, in Georgian style by Thomas Walke III in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Location and architecture:
The house acquired its name because of its location next to Wolf Snare Creek, on the south side of its upper part.The house sits in a high noise area between Naval Air Station Oceana and Interstate 264. It was almost knocked down to make room for an access ramp for the interstate, but preservationists managed to save the property.

The lane to the house at 2040 Potter's Road is lined by many trees, including crepe myrtles. The house is open to the public on a very limited basis.The view of the house is mostly obscured by trees from Potter's Road but beyond the trees it is an open, flat, marshy, area.

The house is in two stories and built with Flemish bond brickwork. A passage runs through the center of the house. It has raised paneling and wainscoting.The house was listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register (Virginia Historic Landmark) in 1974 and the US National Register of Historic Places in 1975.